We'll read seminal texts in the graphic novel genre and then take a shot at creating graphic novels and interpretive presentations. Requirements
1. In depth graphic novel presentation: aesthetic aspects, concepts, and cultural context.
2. Creation of a graphic narrative using various visual techniques
3. Two completed stories for workshop that serve as template for graphic narrative.
4. Regular attendance and no cell phone use in class.
1. Saga, Vol. 1 Image Comics
2. Alejandro Jodorowsky, The Incal Vol. 4: What is Above Electronic (This will not be requested through the UCSB Bookstore.)
3. Planetary: All Over the World and Other Stories and The Authority Vol. 1
4. B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs (Book 1) Dark Horse Books
5. The Complete Persepolis Marjane Satrapi